Hi, Commander! Welcome to the 0.5.0 update breakdown!
We're adding new gameplay features to spice up battles, looking at changes to card rarities and power, and introducing many other improvements to the overall progression and experience of the game.
The 0.5.0 update is available from March 31, 2022. To play it, make sure to download the latest version of the game from the Google Play Store, App Store or Testflight.
Keep on reading below for all that's coming with the 0.5.0 update!
First on the list are the Super Operations! These will introduce twists to battles that are sure to spice things up!
Initially, there will be seven new maps where these Super Operations take place. These Islands will also feature three new biomes including snowy environments, industrial areas filled with mechanical remains of Dr T's experiments, and islands partly destroyed by volcano activity and lava rivers.
Here are the new Super Operations coming in this update:
There's a gigantic missile launcher at the center of this map! Capture it and it will attack the opponent team. It can be deactivated and recaptured, giving whoever is holding it a huge advantage in battle!
Get the immortal Giga Critter before your opponents and it will follow and fight for your team! Despite its immortality, the Giga Critter can be deactivated if it takes enough damage. If that happens, whoever recaptures it will gain its allegiance!
Critters are raining down from the sky! They come in waves with large numbers, attack anyone at sight and get bigger with each wave.
HOT STONE PASSAGE
Flaming rocks fall everywhere and destroy everything while you fight for control over the island. Is this what they call a hot spot?
Ice Twisters are common in this area, damaging and slowing (and twisting?) everything in their stormy path. You might want to put on a jacket.
Volcanic activity should be a good reason to stop other ongoing activities, right? RIGHT?!
Did anyone ask for a third Outpost? Point C starts under the ownership of neutral Critters. Capture it and hold 2 Outposts by the end of the battle to take the W!
Some cards didn't feel like they fit with the initial rarity attributed to them. For example, cards like the Mortar Bike didn't feel powerful enough to be an Epic, or the Shotgunner, who deserved to be more than Common due to her versatility and speed.
That's why we are adjusting the rarity of several Cards as a way for them to reflect better their in-game value and utility.
To help with this, we're also looking at Troop performance and adjusting their power according to their rarity. Most Epic troops have gotten significant improvements, while Rare troops have also received smaller buffs.
If you're wondering how this rarity conversion might affect your card numbers and levels, here's a quick breakdown:
Rarity increases across all rarities will apply no change in card level, but the number of cards owned will be divided by 10 (i.e. your level 5 Common Shotgunner with 120 cards after rarity conversion will become a level 5 Rare Shotgunner with 12 cards).
Rarity decreases from Epic to Rare, and Rare to Common will add +2 card levels and multiply the number of cards owned by 10. (i.e. your level 5 Epic Zooka with 12 cards after conversion will become a level 7 Rare Zooka with 120 cards).
Rarity decreases from Epic to Common will add +4 card levels and multiply the number of cards owned by 100. (i.e. your level 5 Epic Mortar Bike with 12 cards after conversion will become a level 9 Common Mortar Bike with 1200 cards).
Additionally, when these changes go live, all players with an account created before the release of the 0.5.0 update will also receive 2 Premium Boxes + Coins in a predetermined amount based on the HQ level.
Another significant change coming to battles arrives in the form of Troop cooldowns. With this, when a troop is eliminated in battle, it will go on a short cooldown, so you’ll need to re-evaluate your loadout, stay sharp and adjust your tactics on the fly! Making the best choice of your Troops in different situations can increase your team's chances of victory.
Some need-to-knows about these cooldowns:
- The length of a Troop's cooldown increases with its rarity and level
- If a Troop is eliminated while driving a Vehicle, it won't go into cooldown (Vehicles already have built-in cooldowns)
From our experience, the cooldowns add an extra layer of strategy that we really enjoy. Let’s see what you think! Plus, eliminating enemy Zookas trying to blow up your Outposts has just gotten even more rewarding!
Take on daily Missions to earn Piggy Banks containing Coins, and, if you're lucky, Gems!
There are up to four Mission slots available, all with different sized rewards! The first three slots are unlocked as you level up your HQ, while the fourth slot becomes available when you activate the Beach Pass.
You can track your mission progress on the main screen by clicking on the submarine, and on the troop selection screen during battles.
Whenever you complete a Mission, just go back to the sub to collect your Piggy Bank rewards!
It's now easier to get the cards you need to upgrade your forces! The Card Shop is open for business!
- Up to 6 daily card offers available
- The higher your HQ, the more offers are available
- Offers reset every 24 hours
- Buy cards using Coins or Gems
- Sniper Tower - Damage increased by 30%. Rate of fire increased, reload speed, and magazine size adjusted. In essence, normalized damage per second improved by ~25%
- Minefield - Munitions cost increased by 50 (600 -> 650)
- Boom Mines - Munitions cost reduced by 50 (750 -> 700)
TWEAKS & BUG FIXES
- Fixed an issue that caused AI vehicles to sometimes become stuck
- New loading animation for the app launch
- Now you get XP from playing battles instead of Card upgrades. The higher your score in battle, the more XP you'll get
- Players now have a chance to get Gems from Free Boxes, Boom Boxes, Big Boxes and Mega Boxes
- The Beach Pass no longer boosts Card levels up to the player's current HQ level
- Players now gain Munitions from damage dealt by the Defenses they built
- Defenses now appear highlighted to the player that built them
- Implemented an in-game survey for new players coming into the game for the first time
- Players can now add friends outside the game more easily via deep-links
- Improved the GDPR-related account deletion process
- Other fixes and improvements
Whew! That was a lot! This update is just the first in a set we're planning on releasing in the coming months. There are many other exciting features in development, and we can't wait to share them all with you!
Make sure to follow our social media channels for all the latest news:
That's it for now. Thanks for being with us, and see you on the Islands!
- The Boom Beach: Frontlines Team